Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pheromones and Shadows- HF Izanagi Lictor 1

As promised - my first and last Lictor done in the Izanagi Hive scheme! Last, you say? YES. I'll explain later. For now- enjoy the first of several shadows I intend to deploy for HF Izanagi!!

Side-View: This is probably my favorite angle- it makes him look like he's about to rip some unsuspecting victim's face off. I decided to do the SM helmet in a Ultramarines-type color scheme, with the usual rust. However, I wasn't convinced at the time of photography. I'll be adding a bit of a wash or more stippled brown to the metal to simulate the rust and damage done by time.

3/4 Front : This model I ALSO sprayed with the matte sealer, but at the 50% mark- right before the feather-work, and a much lighter coat. I noticed a bit of the chalk-effect, but it doesn't detract from the overall model itself. (at least, I hope not) Also, the feathering is much finer than that done on the Tyrant... perhaps ANOTHER redo is in order for the big guy? My only concern is if it was enough of a coat to protect it...

Front- Tentacle View: As I said in a previous WIP post, this model was entirely pinned, then glued, to make it rigid enough to support the dynamic pose I wanted without shattering to pieces during transport or snapping off a limb due to unbalanced weight. The resulting "Bruce Lee wah-taaah" pose made it very easy to paint this model- a very good reward for taking down the Tyrant. The tentacles I did much the same way as the Zoanthrope, but hit a few angles with the old GW Ork-Flesh Wash to add depth and the "slime" aspect.

Back View: A shot of the back-carapace. This is what I felt was missing from the Tyrant- a characteristic shell. The spraying disaster kinda took the wind from my sails, and I was only concerned about saving the colors, rather than doing something spectacular on that particular model. This model has a raised arch-hood on the back and spikey protuberances running along his sides. (much like the horned ridges on the Zoans) I decided to run a line of red down the center and sides, then highlight it all. This ends up separating the black color, but making it into something more interesting to look at. What do you think?

Back-Left View: One final shot of the tail, the scythe, and left hand. I noticed that a lot of the Lictors for the standard GW Hives have the arms painted up in one color- including the scythes' 1st elbow spike area and carapace-like structure up to the sectioned scythe itself. I took a chance and veered away from that; I painted the entire area shoulder-to-1st-joint black, and feathered it with the red, and I'm pretty happy with the results.

So? What do you think? Any critiques or comments are always welcome- helps improve the standard of work! I plan to use this guy to go deep, rattle tanks and heavy weapons squads to help my 'stealers get in close without/before being blasted apart- we'll see how that pans out...

Oh yes, about the "last" Lictor thing- I wanted to see one in the standard scheme just to make sure nothing was "off" about it. I think it fits in quite well, but I have several techniques I intend to practice on my next set of these badboys. One, I intend to try a variation on Sky-Earth NMM type reflection, but it'll reflect the reds and yellows of the sky with the black smoke plumes, the building rubble towers on the ground... basically a 360-degree mirror of an entire urban landscape gone to hell... The one after that... well... that one, you're just going to have to wait for- it's going to border on a diorama/playing piece...

--END SYNAPTIC TRANSMISSION--

No comments:

Post a Comment